Parent-Teacher Association (PTA)
Briarlake PTA is all of us together: families, staff, community… and TOGETHER we are amazing!
Only TWO goals
- Supporting student success
- Increasing family engagement
Coordination of Activities and Volunteers
- 40+ projects in support of our school, including Room Parents, STEM parents, Campus beautification, Bucky the Beaver, School Pictures, Yearbook, Hospitality for Staff, Open House, Community-building programs such as International Night, Family Service Night, Fall Festival, Ice Cream Social, STEM Night, support for academic clubs and competitions such as Science Olympiad, Odyssey of the Mind, Math Club, Environmental Club and Reading Bowl
PTA Funds Help Support Our School
- Media Center, School Nurse, P.E., Art, Music, Classroom Supplies
- Building & Grounds, Gifted Certification funds, Track Maintenance
Top 10 Things to know about Briarlake’s PTA
- The Briarlake PTA is paying for gifted certification for all Briarlake teachers.
- The PTA provides financial and parent support for extracurricular clubs such as Science Olympiad, the Environmental Club, Reading Bowl, & Odyssey of the Mind.
- The PTA coordinates 10 Family Engagement Programs (e.g., International Night, Field Day).
- The PTA provides supplies for Art, Music, School Nurse, the Special Education Classrooms, and Media Center.
- Briarlake’s PTA is the only PTA in the county that has a formal community service event for children as part of their Programs (i.e., PTA Family Service Night).
- The PTA supports campus beautification activities including monthly litter cleanup, building a fence around the outdoor classroom, a new track for Track Club, and regular maintenance of the grounds.
- The PTA provides spirit wear for all teachers.
- The PTA’s Child in Need fund supports Briarlake children and families who need financial support for field trips, eyeglasses, etc.
- Briarlake PTA was the only elementary PTA in DeKalb County to earn the Model PTA award this past year from Georgia PTA.
- Briarlake has just been named a 2016-18 National PTA School of Excellence! Briarlake is the ONLY DeKalb school to earn this award.
- Executive Committee and Committee Chairpersons
- Meeting Agenda and Minutes
- PTA Expense Reimbursement Form Please keep ALL receipts for expenses you expect PTA reimbursement.
In accordance with House Bill 1187 – The A+ Reform Act of 2000, all public schools must have a Local School Council (LSC). They are meant to bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve educational challenges, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators and bring parents into the school-based decision making process. The LSC at Briarlake consists of the principal, four parents, and two teachers.
The Council meets 5 times each academic year and is concerned with matters of student achievement and school improvement. Elections are held in May to fill vacant seats on the Council.
The members of the School Council are accountable to the constituents they serve and shall:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues
- Regularly participate in school council meetings
- Participate in information and training programs
- Act as a link between the school council and the community
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community
- Work to improve student attendance, achievement and performance.
The Briarlake Foundation is a non-profit 501(
The Purpose of the Briarlake Foundation is to raise money to help fund strategic long term goals for Briarlake Elementary School and to provide funding in areas for which the PTA and School Council are unable to provide for. The Foundation can:
- Apply for, and receive private and corporate donations;
- Accrue assets and earn interest on deposits
- Fund large-scale site improvements;
- Manage funding for multi-year project improvements;
- Directly benefit teachers by paying for teacher or personnel support salaries, conferences or to receive additional certifications, and performance grants.