In accordance with House Bill 1187 – The A+ Reform Act of 2000, all public schools must have a Local School Council (LSC). They are meant to bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve educational challenges, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators and bring parents into the school-based decision making process. The LSC at Briarlake consists of the principal, four parents, and two teachers.
The Council meets 5 times each academic year and is concerned with matters of student achievement and school improvement. Elections are held in May to fill vacant seats on the Council.
The members of the School Council are accountable to the constituents they serve and shall:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues
- Regularly participate in school council meetings
- Participate in information and training programs
- Act as a link between the school council and the community
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community
- Work to improve student attendance, achievement and performance.
School Year 2017-2018
Principal Ms. Jamela Lewis
- Anjevon Smith - Chair (term: 2016-2018)
- Liberty Garcia - Vice Chair (term: 2017-2019)
- Ellyn Cochran - Secretary (term: 2016-2018)
- Pamela Hege - Parent Rep (term: 2017-2019)
- Debbie Martin-Gerstle - Mentor/ former-Chair
- Tony Pan- Academic Achievement Committee Co-Chair (term: 2016-2018)
- Anne Garcia - Academic Achievement Committee Co-Chair (term: 2017-2019)
Download the School Council
All Briarlake School Council meetings are held in the Art Room from 1-2pm and are open to the public.
- Thursday, 8/24/17 at 1pm
- Thursday, 10/19/17 at 1pm
- Thursday, 1/18/18 at 1pm
- Thursday, 3/15/18 at 1pm
- Thursday, 5/03/18 at 1pm
School Year 2016-2017
Principal: Jamela Lewis
- Deb Wise, term: 2015-2017
- Laurie Law, term: 2016-2018
- Chair: Debbie Martin-Gerstle, term: 2015-2017
- Vice Chair: Anjevon Smith, term: 2016-2018
- Secretary: Ellyn Cochran, term: 2016-2018
- Jennifer Petrich, term: 2015-2017
The School Council will help support the PTA’s Academic Achievement Committee. This committee will oversee the Academic Challenges and Academic Competitions.
Academic Enrichment Committee Co-Chairs:
- Jin Choy, term: 2016-2018
- Tony Pan, term: 2016-2018